Monday, March 31, 2014

The Eye (Lashes) of The Beholder

Hair loss.

Vomiting.

Loss of eyelashes.

Lack of energy.

The symptoms listed above are just few of many that are to be expected for a woman battling cancer.

After all of these symptoms and side effects, what is left for a woman to feel feminine? What is left for a woman to feel confident and beautiful?

Last month, my Aunt was diagnosed with stage three, breast and lymphatic cancer. She is expected to receive a double lumpectomy, chemotherapy, and radiation within the next few months. She is not just my Aunt, but my God Mother, my source of happiness, and one of my very best friends. From living together during high school, I received a front row seat watching her overcome more than one individual should ever endure in a lifetime. Her perseverance, optimism, humor, and love for life has gotten me through my hardest days.  So it became my mission to help get her through hers.

            After coming home to see her for my spring break, there were many concerns that she disclosed. This included her fear for the unpredictable future, as well as the heinous side effects that come along. I am not a doctor, or a nurse, so there are many aspects of her road to recovery in which I am undereducated. But there was one conversation we had that I felt I could provide assistance. She expressed to me that she wanted someone to “make her pretty” when she was going through chemotherapy and radiation. This was absurd to me, because she is always drop-dead beautiful in my eyes. As she talked about how she would lose her eyelashes, she would lose her hair, and how she would be drained of her energy, I began to understand how this could easily strip a woman of her self-confidence.

My mother and I began to seek assistance to how we could help her with her request in anyway that we could. So far I have found a few promising suggestions that my Aunt will be using as steps to becoming a healthy, strong, and confident cancer survivor.

My focus for this week is my aunt’s favorite asset, her eyelashes.

Concern: Loss of eyelashes

Suggestion: Latisse

 There is a product called Latisse that is a topical prescription for hypotrichosis, which means “inadequate or not enough lashes.” One of my friends had previously used this product when she went on the acne medicine, Accutane. She raved about the product, saying that it gave her even better and more beautiful lashes than before. I then researched online to see if it was safe and effective for women going through chemotherapy. After looking on informational websites, blogs, and the actual Latisse website, the general consensus for many women was that Latisse prevented them from ever fully losing their eyelashes at all. Recent studies, and consulting with her doctor have proved that the product does not interfere with her treatment. We have already bought my Aunt a bottle of Latisse, and we are excited to see her beautiful and full lashes!



No comments:

Post a Comment