Monday, April 7, 2014

Green, Lean, Cancer-Fighting Machine

Kale.

Carrots.

Spinach.

Apples.

Cinnamon.

The most unlikely combination of the ingredients listed above can create a healing and reenergizing concoction. 

The latest "green juice/smoothie" craze has left many individuals curious about what juicing can offer. It is often over looked and automatically labeled as a fad, which carries a negative connotation. But after hearing the success stories, I decided to do some of my own research, to see what the hype was all about.

I had seen on multiple occasions a "juice cleanse," which appeared to be some sort of a fast. Many examples I have seen are 1-5 day segments where an individual cannot eat any solid food. They simply drink a juice drink or a smoothie in place of their breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This is supposed to "restart the metabolism." 

While this cleanse appears to be a little extreme for my taste, I decided to try a smoothie/juice without the whole solid food fasting part... And I was very pleased with the results! Many of the recipes are surprisingly delicious, and they are extremely nutrient-dense. It is an easy way to incorporate vegetables into a diet without much preparation at all.

The main reason I decided to look into juice and smoothie recipes is because of the benefits they have on individuals going through chemotherapy. My Aunt had her first treatment this week, and she expressed how tired and "sick" her body felt. Before we began, my other Aunt came up with the perfect recipe for her to drink every day of her treatment! 

This week I would like to share with you the recipe she is using!

Concern: Lack of nutrients, lack of energy, nausea 

Suggestion: Green juice

My Aunt has been drinking her green juice every morning and she said it has been working wonders! The juice offers abundant amounts of vitamins that boosts the immune system. During chemotherapy, it is very important to keep the immune system strong, so the juice is a great natural way to do so!

3 apples
1 (full size) carrot
1 stick of celery
Half a cucumber
Spinach (1 handful)
Ice (1 cup)
Kale (1 handful)
Pinch of cinnamon 
Lime juice (1 lime)


I have also found great recipes on this website!

No comments:

Post a Comment